Getting to know you: What do you do?

shoes_sidewalk

No faux-MTV show. No strange 1970s Russian variety show clip. Just a question to get to know you all better, probably the most asked question in New York next to “Will you please stop urinating on my shoe?

So, what do you do?

photo: Orin Zebest

15 notes on “Getting to know you: What do you do?

1. Raquel TWG

Well, as required by law, I’m a student. A hybrid student, really. Haha. Juggling my last two years of high school and my first four semesters of college, all at the same time. During the summer, I coach little kids at a sports camp, even though I’m not very good at any sports…other than that I just sleep, eat, blog, go to church, and drink coffee (:

2. Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect

I think that’s a complicated question! Almost as bad as “Who are you?” :)

By day, I’m a “Public Relations Specialist” for a national franchise company. Believe me, it is not nearly as glamorous as it sounds. And it doesn’t even sound glamorous to start with.

By early morning and evening, I’m a mom to a 2 1/2 year old girl. She is, I like to say, “Very TWO.”

By night, I’m a TV addict, housework procrastinator and blogger.

3. cool dad Post author

To answer my own question, my paid profession is to manage the online presence of a small non-profit organization, handling their website, blog, and social media profiles. On the side, I write in different capacities, whether it be this blog, freelance projects, screenwriting, and a fledgling memoir about our recent adventures. I also have a spiritual gift for filming dumb videos that no one gets.

4. Matthew

Hi cool dad. I saw your comment on my blog so I stopped by to follow yours but alas! Your blog has its own domain and I cannot follow using Google friend connect. I would subscribe to RSS but my inbox is cluttered enough already.

Anyway thanks for stopping by and for the comment.

5. babita

hmmmm…what do i do. i work with students on their issues with academics, teachers, peers, i listen to way too many parent phone calls that are not really related to anything i can do for them directly. i attend numerous meetings and do tons of paperwork, attend lunch duty (far less than i should, actually!), organize state wide testing, give intelligence screeners, schedule at least 550 students for the following school year, create forms, document, document, document, all under the guise of “guidance counseling.” on occasion i really get to converse with kids or their parents and help them with their concerns or problems, THAT’s the best part. :) :) by night, i attend some dance classes with teens half my age and try to keep up. that’s what i do!

1. cool dad Post author

Is that all? :) Well even if few others do, I want to thank you for all that you do for the children, their families, and the next generation as a whole!

6. brook

I’m a lurker on your site…first time commenter. :) I am a stay-at-home Mom, CEO of the household, cleaning lady, boo-boo kisser, family travel agent, personal organizer, executive assistant to husband and child.

It’s a good life.

I thank you for your blog – I used to live in NYC and my husband, 2 year old son, and I will be moving back in June. You have provided encouragement during some of the difficult times of “Will this house ever sell?” (it did!), and “How do we do this with a child?” (trust God). I have told my husband of your tales/adventures and the amazing provision God has given your family. It’s such a great testimony. My little guy also very much enjoys the videos of your little guy. :) Thank you.

1. cool dad Post author

Thank you so much for your comment. It is a great encouragement to us. :) Please keep us updated on your move back. We’d love to hear your story!

7. Nikki

I’m a tech producer at a mega-methodist church in Kansas city. I have the privilege of working with tekkies everyday (sound, lights, multi-media).

I am mom to 3 kids (8,6,4) and to Apollo the badass standard poodle. That’s right.

My husband is clergy in the United Methodist church.

I found your blog through my friend Randel: http://steveandrandel.blogspot.com/

And I recalled a post I wrote a year or so back about the realization that the notion of cool is beginning to unravel in my life.

8. Sue

After being unemployed for a year, I’m excited and grateful to have a job! I just started working a month ago at a small newspaper in Virginia (which happened to win a Pulitzer Prize last week). I work in the Classified department – not exactly riveting, but I’m totally enjoying learning a little about journalism from the inside.